Hight Tatras National Park
Tatras National Park
Tatras National Park (TANAP) is the oldest national park in Slovakia. It was founded in 1949 and covers a 1045-square-kilometerarea. TANAP's charge is to preserve the original condition of the natural environment through comprehensive protection and guidance for the mountains' usage for recreation, therapy and sport.
- Information notice boards about the National Park serve you, the visitor - please do not damage them.
- In order to enjoy your visit please use marked hiking tracks that are not accessible to public between 1 November and 15 June.
- Hiking away from marked tracks, under the supervision of experienced guides, is available between 16 June and 31 October.
- Peacefulness of nature is there for you to enjoy. It should not be polluted either by lights effects or loud music, or any other noises.
- Please do not pollute the environment. Take your rubbish home with you. To avoid fires please refrain from smoking during dry periods.
- It is not permitted to camp or bivouac anywhere in the National Park.
- It is prohibited to light fires anywhere in the National Park other than in designated sites in tourist’s villages.
- If you are enjoying your stay in the National Park with your pet dog then the dog should always be on a lead and muzzled; dogs are not allowed in protected areas of 4th and 5th degree of protection.
- Do not pick flowers and disturb animals. Touch the nature by your heart only.
- Do not try to enter inaccessible caves and gullies.
Seasonal closings of marked hiking trails from 1 November until 15 June:
- No access to Bielovodska dolina from the clearing Biela voda -
- No access to Javorova dolina from the crossroad under Muran -
- No access to Zadne Medodoly from the chalet under Muran -
- No access to Monkova dolina - Siroke sedlo - Kopske sedlo - (educational track)
- No access to Kopske sedlo from Bielovodske pleso -
- No access to Jahnaci stit from Zelene pleso -
- No access to Velka Svistovka from Zelene pleso -
- No access to Velka Svistovka from Huncovska vyhliadka -
- No access to Mala Studena dolina from Teryho chalet - and
- No access to Velka Studena dolina from Zbojnicka chalet - and
- No access to Slavkovsky stit from Slavkovska clearing during snow cover -
- No access to Velicka dolina from Velicke pleso -
- No access to Rysy from the crossroad above Zabi potok -
- No access to Mengusovska dolina from the crossroad above Zabi potok -
- No access along the tourist track Magistrala from Sliezsky dom to Popradske pleso during snow cover –
- No access to Mlynicka dolina from the waterfall Skok -
- No access to Furkotska dolina from the tourist track Magistrala -
- No access to Furkotska dolina from the chalet at Solisko -
- No access to Krivan from the crossroad at Jamske pleso -
- No access to Krivan from the chalet at Tri Studnicky -
- No access to Koprova dolina from Kmetovy waterfall -
- No access to Ticha dolina from the chalet Tabor -
- No access to Kamenista dolina from the shepherd's cabin towards Pysne sedlo -
- Bystrá dolina od poľany pod Kotlovou na Bystrú -
- No access to Rackova dolina from either Prostredne towards Rackove sedlo - , Gaborovo sedlo - a Bystre sedlo -
- No access to Jamnicka dolina towards Otrhance - and towards Jamnicke sedlo -
- No access to Baranec from the map's elevation Klinovate -
- No access to the beginning of Ziarska dolina from the top side of the forest towards Baranec -
- No access to Ziarska dolina from either Ziarska chalet towards Ziarske sedlo - , or towards Smutne sedlo - , or towards Jalovecke sedlo -
- No access to Jalovecka dolina from the crossroad towards Salatin - and towards Banikovske sedlo -
- No access to the main ridge of Zapadne Tatry from Hutianske sedlo up to Pysne sedlo -
- No access to Smutna dolina from Tatliakove pliesko towards Smutne sedlo - and towards sedlo Zabrat -
- No access to Spaleny Zlab from the the ski-track towards the map's elavation Brestova -
- No access to Spalena dolina from the crossroad above the waterfall towards Rohacske plesa - and towards Banikovske sedlo -
- No access to Latana dolina from the crossroad towards Lucna - and towards sedlo Zabrat -
- No access to Bobrovecka dolina from the crossroad under Umrla - towards Bobrovecke sedlo, and towards sedlo Prislop -
- No access to Hruby vrch and Bobrovecke sedlo from Juranova dolina -
The closure of tourist and educational tracks in the National Park from 1 January until 15 June:
Symbolical cemetary (Symbolicky cintorin) under Ostrva - from both directions
Note: All seasonal closures of various localities are indicated on notice boards placed directly in those locations.
Movement of tourists in the National Park off the tourist and educational tracks is permissible as follows:
Visitors in the National Park are permitted to walk off the tourist and educational tracks in the company of authorized guides apart from the following localities:
- the ridge from Siroka Javorinska up to the NW part of Zabi vrch, Rovienky, Svistova dolina and the end of Bielovodska dolina; the South border of this area is the line between Velky Zabi stit - Ceske pleso - Hviezdoslavov vodopad - Litvorove pleso - Prielom (this restriction is not applicable to the access to Ceska dolina along Cesky potok and to the area of Maly Mlynar with the descend over Mlynarovo sedlo during 21 December - 20 March);
- Kolova dolina, inlcuding all adjacent valleys and climbing walls; the NE part of Cierna Javorova dolina bordering in the South with Cierny Javorovy potok (stream) and the ridge Snehove veze
- Belianske Tatry;
- Huncovska koltlinka including the SE part of Svistovka;
- Slavkovska dolina including climbing walls up to Granatova lavka;
- Stolska dolina bordering in the North with the ridge Ostrva - Koncista and in the South with the tourist track Magistrala;
- the area of Krivan with all adjacent ridges and valleys (Nefcerka, Kotliny, Skaredy zlab, Za Handel, Sucha voda); the NE border is the ridge Hrube and the East border is the ridge Furkotske veze and Kozi chrbat
The National Park offers the following tracks for public cycling:
- Lysa Polana - up to the chalet in Bielovodska dolina.
- Biela voda - chalet at Zelene pleso.
- Kezmarske Zlaby - Mlynceky.
- The circle from the cable car station in Tatranska Lomnica to the cable car station 'Start'.
- The circle above Eurocamp.
- Stara Lesna - Tatranska Lomnica.
- Stary Smokovec - Hrebienok.
- The circle above Nova Lesna.
- The circle Nova Lesna - Stara Lesna.
- Dolny Smokovec - Zakovska polana - Gerlachov.
- Novy Smokovec from the tram stop Sibir - Zakovska polana - Gerlachov.
- Tatranska Polianka - Sliezsky dom.
- Vysne Hagy - up to the chalet in the village Stola.
- Nova Polianka - Stola.
- Tram stop Popradske pleso up to the hotel at Popradske pleso.
- Podbanske - Koprova dolina.
- Podbanske - Ticha dolina.
- Pribylina - Ziarska dolina.
- The beginning of Ziarska dolina - up to the chalet in Ziarska dolina.
- Zuberec - Rohacska dolina.
- Zverovka - Latana dolina.
- Zuberec - Habovka - Oravica.
Tracks stated in the items 1 - 22 are reserved for cycling purposes subject to the restrictions stipulated in the Notice no. 3, A and B above and the speed limit of 15-20km/hr.
Areas limited to gliders and paragliders:
- Corridor from Lomnicke sedlo - Skalnate pleso - Tatranska Lomnica during the period of 15 December - 15 April and 16 June - 31 October.
- Slavkovsky nos - Smokovce - Nova Lesna during the period of 16 June - 31 October.
- Spaleny Zlab only within the area of the ski track during the period of 1 June - 15 April.
- Chalet Solisko - ski track - Strbske Pleso during the period of 15 December - 15 April and 1 July - 15 September.
The following tracks are reserved for the alpine skiing:
- The following tracks are reserved for the alpine skiing:
The following tracks are reserved for the cross-country skiing
- Zverovka - Spalena;
- Ziarska dolina;
- Rackova dolina;
- Strbske Pleso - Interski, Esicko, Solisko;
- Smokovec - Hrebienok, Jakubkova luka, and the slope behind the hotel Bellevue;
- Tatranska Lesna;
- Tatranska Lomnica - Jamy, Start, Cucoriedky;
- Skalnate pleso - Lomnicke sedlo;
- Zdiar - Strednica;
- Tatranska javorina - Gombosi vrch.
- Official cross-country tracks around the hotel FIS at Strbske Pleso;
- Tracks in the area of Spalena;
- Tracks around the village Stola;
- Tourist tracks;
- Tracks in wooded areas.
Climbing, rock-climbing and ski-alpinism:
Areas reserved for ski-alpinism are as follows
- Climbing and rock-climbing is allowed in all localities of the National Park apart from the following areas:
- Velka Studena dolina from Zbojnicka chata (chalet) along Sive plesa through Priecne sedlo towards Teryho chata (chalet) in Mala Studena dolina; then continue under Macacia veza through Baranie sedlo and Velka Zmrzla dolina to chalet at Zelene pleso;
- Mlynicka dolina from the waterfall Skok up to Soliskove sedlo and back; the alternative route back is the skiing track from chata (chalet) Solisko;
- Ziarska dolina - Velke Zavraty and Male Zavraty; the starting point being in Ziarska dolina;
- Bobrovecka Vapenica - Cervenec - Babky - Velka Kopa - sedlo Priehyba and back;
- Spalena dolina;
- ski-track Spalena - Salatinska dolina.
Ski-alpinism activities can be carried out by members of any ski-alpinism club. Ski-alpinists are permitted to enter the National Park off the tourist and educational tracks and during the period of closures only for the purpose of ski-alpinism. Ski-alpinism is permissible to be carried out during 21 December - 15 April, subject to good snow conditions and no avalanche alert. It is compulsory for all ski-alpinist to carry with them their membership card and to provide on the request to the National Park wardens.